On to a recap...
Things done during Staycation 2010:
1) Friday afternoon-Tuesday morning we were in Hendersonville. My parents came up for a night and our families all went to the Grove Park Inn and had a belated engagement dinner on the terrance. It was really pretty up there. Jeff wants to honeymoon there and play golf (him) and spa (me) all day. However, I want to go to Spain (specifically Barcelona).
The Fams
Owen Boys and Me
We also saw The Best of Andrew Lloyd Webber at the Flat Rock Playhouse (very fun... although they didn't sing anything from Cats until the encore and I was baffled).
2) Stuff around the house- we now have outdoor furniture, barstools, and matching living room accessories. Life is good! I even retiled an outdoor table (you're impressed with my craftiness, I know). I'll post pictures of everything tomorrow after I clean up from our vegetative staycation.
3) Jeff played a lot of golf.
4) We watched a lot of movies: Iron Man 2 (very good for a sequel), Alice in Wonderland (I'm not a huge Tim Burton fan...eh), The Informant (I like Matt Damon), Wolverine (blah), and some other movie with Ewan McGregor that I can't remember.
5) I read an entire book...for fun! Granted it was Jennifer Weiner, but that's impressive for me people! I've been bad about reading since grad school. One, I'm busy. And, two, I'd just had enough of it for a while. But, I'm inspired to read for fun more often now after this week.
6) We went and looked at some wedding venues, which to be honest just kinda made me wanna elope (but I'm not really loving that idea either). Nothing was quite right and the wedding's getting bigger than I'd originally imagined. It was a little stressful for me and no decisions have been made (shocking I know). I'm going to revisit it later this week when I've stepped away from it for a while.
7) WICKED!!! If you remember my post from March , I've been looking forward to this for months! And it really didn't disappoint. It was a traveling production and there was an unnecessary dragon over the stage that spit fire and smoke that I still can't seem to relate to the story, but the two lead characters were great. I thought it was funny and I could have just sat there all night letting her sing Defying Gravity over and over again. I waited so long to see it and now I wanna go see it again!
That should really catch you up for now. I know I didn't go into a ton of detail, but it was really fun to take a break! And, I just looked at my vacation balance and I still have 31 days. I can only keep a balance of 40 max even though it keeps accruing. Plus, it's too busy during the school year (other than holiday break when we get 6 days off anyways) to take much vacation other than a day or two. So, I'm thinking about taking another 4 days off in July around the 4th. Yay for a potential staycation, round 2!
Or you can take that vacation time and come to Nashville.
ReplyDeleteash- i read your blog all the time and i don't normally comment, but i wanted to let you know that the dragon over the stage is TOTALLY necessary to the plot...it's just the plot of the original book.
ReplyDeletein maguire's book, there is a machine called the "the clock of the time dragon" which is a religious relic that goes around and espouses the beliefs of the proletariate. it's also technically where elphaba is born. it's a really important image throughout the book...but, you're right, it's not huge in the musical.
if you haven't read maguire's books, i totally recommend them. there are three in the oz trilogy and there are books about snow white and sleeping beauty. he's actually very witty.
Crystal! I didn't know you read the blog. Hope life is treating you fabulously! THANK YOU for enlightening me. It was really bothering me. I had a whole discussion with my parents during the intermission about the dragon. And, now, questions answered! I had no idea it was a hidden gem for the readers, which actually somehow makes me like the play even more. I'm adding Maguire to my summer reading list (which probably means I'll get to it over Christmas break...but I digress)!
ReplyDelete