Wednesday, June 16, 2010

SYTYCD Top 11

So the show finally begins for real!

Not sure what happened with the opening. The camera man didn't film some of the dancers. I guess it might actually be live this year and we can't get a redo if the dancer didn't exactly hit their mark.

Billy and Lauren- I didn't hate it as much as typical Tyce routines, but they really lost steam as they went along and it was poor use of the lockers. If you're going to have a prop, use it. Overall, I give it a B+. They had some nice lines and power at the beginning, but the heart just wasn't there for me.

Christina and Mark- I'm just not a huge Sonja fan. Christina did better than I expected. But, I have a problem with her levels. She's all up and doesn't get down in her moves. And, she just didn't totally commit to it. But, not terrible. She's got some nice contemporary lines for a ballroom girl. The comfort just wasn't there.

Jose and Comfort- lucky coincident he got hip hop ;) That whole run jump and roll around on the floor part seemed off to me. I'm not really sure what was supposed to happen there. It was fine. The beginning was much stronger though for me. But, his partnering was not great and his connection with the audience wasn't so hot either.

Adechike and Kathryn- her legs are ridiculous and they actually used their props. But, I'm still not sure I liked it. I think the props limited them a little bit. They really only used a small amount of stage space, and it bugged me a little. Kathryn was very strong. But, I really only watched Kathryn, and he didn't stand out to me.

I feel like I'm being a little negative tonight...hopefully things pick up because there hasn't been that stand-out number or person for me yet.

Melinda and Pasha- Her feet are a mess! Isn't she supposed to be a tapper? Fast feet are supposed to be her specialty. I'll give her a bit of a break that the music and choreography was pretty bad. But, it looked like a bad mix of a tap dance and a jive. Side note: Mia needs to stop calling people "Mama."

Alex and Allison- Okay, so maybe I take back my Sonja comment. I'm so over the use of that song, but she actually made that work for me with a unique take on it. I really liked it. I had to watch it again because I wasn't sure it was Alex that I loved, or whether it was the choreography and insert any boy dancer who can turn and has control. But, the second time around he won me over. His breath and timing were just lovely. And, Allison rocked it (even though I still have no recollection of her). My favorite dance so far (I'm not sure about it being "the best of all SYTYCD pieces" like the judges were saying, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Alexie and Twitch- I found that to be very boring. It was more like a boring jazz dance than a good hip hop dance. Not a fan, no energy.

Lauren and Ade- And more props...I'm not sure I liked the song choice. It just made them seem like they were constantly reaching towards each other, set up, and next trick. Her technique is flawless, and that tilt throw jump off the couch was pretty rockin', but it was just so-so for me. She didn't have much connection with Ade and that song gives you nothing to work with attitude wise. Side note: What's up with Shankman? His comments to her were a little rough. She was just trying not to sound like a whiny brat on the first show out. But, whatever. Maybe there's something going on behind the scenes we don't see.

Kent and Anya- I'll give it to him that he committed. But, it looked like a woman dancing with a little boy. She was bigger than him, and he was just very immature about it to me. I didn't feel the connection between them. But, it was cha cha, so I'm not judging him based on it.

Ashley and Neil- I think she may be a Jeanine-esque dark horse of the competition. She's got great lines. The weird jazz hand reaching lift thing was a bit much for me. I don't know why they think Tyce is such a great lyrical choreographer.  But, it showed her technique off and I actually thought it was better than the cancer dance everyone seemed to ogle over last year.. She reminds me of Lauren (the all-star). I just didn't feel the love though in the piece. Just some weird choreography moments stopped their connection for me.

Rob and Courtney- Same as Kent, I think he really committed. But, it just looked a little awkward with moments of cool. It also looked exhausting and I don't know how you build up the stamina for that in a week. Not the best, but good effort.

I think Melinda or Adechike could go and I wouldn't notice. I think it will be Melinda in the end because her solo will be tapping and Adechike has that really fast, strong solo that will move the judges a bit more when he has to fight for his life. We'll see tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment