So, since there's no voting, this night is a little weird. I don't get to really weight in as much.
But, I will say, I do like watching a night of group numbers rather than just duets. I am finding it hard to tell the all-stars and the new people apart in some of the numbers (i.e. Sonya, and the opening number where they're so done in makeup). I think it's hard for the audience to judge. It's probably different for the judges who have seen in it rehearsal up close. But, I think it's going to confuse the audience. Just a thought.
So Dances Ranked:
1. Wade and Amanda Robson's garden tea party thing- I'd love to be in Wade's head for an afternoon. He's just got such cool moves: smooth, yet hard. So cool and great transitions! By far my favorite of the evening. Oh, and that's who Rob and Ashley are. I was impressed.
2. Travis' Paris Piece- I didn't love the black background with the black costumes; I found it hard to see them. But, I thought the part about 30 seconds in where they charge forward in unison and they do that whole section together was sick! Fierce! Lauren and Kent didn't disappoint me. I'm glad they continue to bring Travis back.
3. Hip Hop- I'm ranking this higher than it probably should be. I thought Dominic and Twitch were great and Tabitha and Napoleon's choreography was fun and old school. But, I didn't think Jose was up to par. His moves just weren't finished and he really lost steam as he went along. But, his team and choreography still kept it up higher in the ranks for me.
4. Tyce's Sweet Charity Number- I only rank it this high because of Alexie and Lauren (maybe I shouldn't rank them based on allstars, but I watched her mostly). I just believed Alexie that she wanted to be on that stage so badly! Very cute, and good technique. Also, I reaffirm my belief that something's off about Melinda. And, I don't remember Allison from season 2. Anyone else?
5. Mia's piece- I actually watched it twice because I really liked the idea behind the piece and I thought maybe my first impression of hating it was off. But, it remained. Billy Bell just ruined it for me. I hated the firetruck and I think there are ways to look like a little kid without being so literal. I really liked Ade and I didn't really notice Alex Wong so that probably says something about his performance. I just really wanted more from Mia's first piece back. That's bad when it ranks under tired Tyce.
6. Sonya's number- I didn't really love it. I just didn't like the pairing of the people. I don't think I like Adechike. I just don't think he has the training or technique down yet for this level. I can really see it in the extension of his arms and feet. They're just not stretched enough. And, his partner lifting looked very weak for such big muscles. I liked the music mash up for the number and there were some nice moments. But, overall, it wasn't cohesive for me and I thought it featured Neil too much rather than the new folks.
7. Ballroom Number- I wasn't sure if I thought the ballroom trio worked. There were moments where I liked the back and forth of it, but then they'd try to samba roll with three and awkward 3-way partnering. I just thought Ana dominated Christina. I just don't think she's as good as the past ballroom girls.
Really, none of them were bad dances, which was really nice. Maybe, I'll like this season and the all-star idea. I think I'm ready for Billy Bell, Adechike, and Melinda to go though.
What did you all think?
Yay for SYTYCD posts! Ok, so I also LOVED Wade's piece! I actually hit rewind and watched it a few times. I liked Travis' piece as well but totally agree on the costumes. I actually had to squint to see if it was Lauren or not because the makeup made her look like a totally different person which I'm not sure is the best thing when you're introducing the dancers for the first time. I actually liked Sonya's piece though. I thought it was really powerful but I couldn't tell Ashley from Courtney most of the time - they just look too similar. I liked the hip hop too but I always do. :) I was disappointed with Mia's piece not only in the choreography but also because Ade stole the show for me which is bad since he's the all star. The ballroom number was just weird. Ana is light years ahead of Christina but Christina actually looked like she was having fun which I liked. I didn't care for Tyce's routine.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you picked Lauren because she's my fave too! I haven't really made a decision about the boys. They all seem a bit overrated at the moment. Did you see Lauren's "At Last" solo in Vegas? Loved. It.
Yeah, I watched Wade's again this morning, just for the heck of it. And, Lauren's solo was the clincher in my decision. I just thought it was adorable and so technically strong for being so playful!
ReplyDelete