
As most of you know, I've been taking dance class at Davidson this semester (well except for that 3 1/2 week period where my back wouldn't let me...stupid coughing-causing pulled muscle). That's finally okay again, by the way.
Davidson has a few performing groups on campus. Gamut is a contemporary student-run company that is probably the most legit dancers on campus. There's also a dance team that performs at different sporting events. But, the largest student organization on campus is called Dance Ensemble. Dance Ensemble is a group that puts on a fall and spring show (2 nights each semester) with student choreographed pieces ranging from Australian tribal dances to Bollywood to contemporary to step. It's like our own SYTYCD around here each semester. It's crazy how much these kids love dance here. I've been told that 65% of the student body performs in a number during their time there. How crazy is that?! Good or bad, they jump on that stage.
Well about 3 weeks into my ballet class this semester, my fellow dancers decided to use our class time to choreograph a piece for dance ensemble. So, we started doing 20 minutes of bar and then doing choreography. For a couple of weeks I said I wasn't going to do the show because I don't really love the whole performing aspect of dance. I'm more of a kick my own butt in class kind of a person. But, after a few weeks they wore me down. So, last Friday and Saturday I got on stage and performed in a piece in front of all my students and colleagues.
To be honest, I'm still a little mortified. I don't think I did terribly or anything. It's just that I hadn't danced in almost 7 years, and I just didn't like dancing when I knew I wasn't at my best. And, I felt awkward being a staff member. I just think I like watching the students better than being in a piece. Plus, I kinda liked having dance as my secret thing I could do on the side. Now people on campus keep asking me about it and I just kinda liked doing it for me. So, as for now, I think that was my last public performance for a while.
And, that is a an actual picture from the end of our piece. I'm on of the tall ones being stepped on.
You should have told me. I would hav come down and supported you. I would have even made signs.
ReplyDelete