Tuesday, November 03, 2009

SYTYCD Recap Time

Tonight was so much better than last week I thought. I'm still not sure the caliber of dance is super great, but the choreography was so much better this week. I also made myself happier by not listening to any of the judges comments this week (you'd be surprised how much better that makes the show). So, below are my reactions as I watched.

So, I like the way they did the top 18 intros tonight with them having their own time on stage…nice way to highlight each of them.

I’m also glad they’re going to let Brandon try out again next year because he got a bad deal. You knew he was going to get cut. So, I’m glad he gets another shot next season.


Routines 

Good

Wade- So, I totally loved the concept and I actually liked the use of the staging in this number with the screens and the 3D effect of the swirls (even though I would have liked a little more light to see the dancers). I thought it was weird and fun. I do wish a little more technical movement had been thrown in, but I liked it. 

Contemporary- Of course I liked the Stacey Tookey number. I’m not sure it was the dancers performances as much as it was that I really liked the movements. The song didn’t really do it for me and it was a little too much like the addiction number last year. Plus, I couldn’t really see Legacy since he was wearing all black and again we apparently can’t turn any lights on the stage on. But, some of those lifts and lines from Catherine were just lovely!  Not my favorite number ever or anything, but I really enjoyed it. I’d like to see more Stacey Tookey (especially over any of the Tyce numbers).

Waltz- I actually thought that was really pretty and I never like waltzes. Sure it was a little cheesy, but I loved it. And Ashleigh didn’t annoy me. 

Bollywood- It was a little westernized for me (random illusions and jumps) but then it had some really cool fast and slow controlled sections. Overall, it was pretty good for me. But, still not as good as Katie and Joshua a couple of years ago.

Argentine Tango- it’s just not my thing- it was nice. But, it was good. Ryan kind of bores me though.


Eh

Hip hop (Noelle and Russell): that was a pretty tough routine. It looked like they got a little tired. But, overall I liked it. 

Hip hop (Karen and Kevin) I hated the song. And, there was just more transitions than blocks of choreography so I was a little bored. They’d do 8 counts of choreo and then move around for 16 counts. Just boring. I miss the more dramatic Napoleon and Tabitha routines. 


No Way Jose 

Broadway- that was the slowest fast dance I’ve ever watched. Bianca has obviously never done partner work and needs to learn how to point her feet. Every time she comes out of something (a kick, a lift, whatever) it was just sickled and flat feet.

Samba- that was so scary to watch. You can tell when a girl doesn’t trust her partner. She looked so scared every time she had to go up for a lift. Yikes! So bad.


Who Would I Send Home This Week?

Bianca and Phillip

And the results are in…wow. I actually agreed with the judges decisions. Thanks judges for picking the right people to go home. I think those two were really hurting their partners. Oh wow, Phillip dropped a bomb. Poor guy. What a nice way to exit with grace and thanks. Good job Phillip.

So, I guess I'm going to keep watching for now...that is until Paula Abdul eventually shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment