Anywho... I just want to say thank you to whoever did the lighting last night. I could actually see the dancers this week. I applaud you! However, the crazy camera men were making me dizzy. Stop switching the camera angles every 3 seconds. I can't focus on what's going on. And I feel like I'm missing something with all of these close-up shots in the middle of the dance. Stop it!
On to the critiques:
Top 3 Guys Routine: I don't usually love Sonja, but I thought this was really fun! I was thoroughly entertained and it was a tough number. Lots of go go go and then stop on a dime. Loved it! Evan did look a little sub-par for me. But, I'll give him that he looked better than I expected him to next to Ade and Brandon. Brandon really stood out as the strongest though throughout the routine. He's stepped it up a bit for me.
Jeanine and Ade:
- Samba: That samba was just awful! The lewd Lady Gaga song (eww) and that hideous tail-feather thing she had attached to her rear end were not working for me. They just kind of stomped around the stage and it did not work for me. And I really like the two of them. But, it was bad!
- Hip-hop: I actually liked the hip-hop number a lot! It was one of Tabitha and Napoleon's better numbers of the season in my opinion. Ade almost didn't make it out of his box at the end and did some kind of weird cover that was obviously not what they were supposed to do to finish the piece. But, I liked it.
Evan and Melissa:
- Broadway: Haven't we had like 3 weeks straight of Tired Tyce...I'm over him! He gets people sent home with his choreography. I'm sorry, I didn't love it. Melissa was too ballet and not enough broadway. Evan is just too short. Cute, but in a "I'm sort of laughing at you because you look ridiculous together" way. Overall, it was fine. But, not great for me.
- Quick-Step: Okay, so I kinda liked it. Sure, it wasn't fantastic. But, I thought it was one of the better quick-steps they've had on the show. At least they didn't have this "oh god, I'm quick-stepping and I don't know what I'm doing" looks on their faces like people usually do. I kind of enjoyed it. I thought Melissa looked nice. And, Evan... looked short (I know I need to stop harping on that, but he did).
Kayla and Brandon:
- Contemporary: LOVED IT! It was one of my favorite dances of the season actually. I thought the lines were just wonderful! There was a weird moment there towards the end where they do something off of the steps and it seems like they just didn't quite get their balance right for a sequence there. But, I just thought it was lovely. They look great together.
- Disco: I just don't like disco and I just didn't like. The judges loved it and all. I just didn't think it was that great. That one lift where she splits over the top of him was pretty good. But, other than that, they looked all over the place for me. Oh well, I still love them both. Just not Doriana Sanchez.
Top 3 Girls: Again, I LOVED it! I thought the judges were a little too harsh on them. I thought the idea was really cute and they looked really good together. That was a tough routine and their synchronization (not "synchronicity" Lil' C) was really good for me. I would have loved to do that number. Sonja stepped it up for me tonight. I thought it was uber-fun! Kayla did stand out a little above the other two for me though.
Overall Solo Rankings:
- Brandon (that was his audition piece, and he kicked it up a notch for me...awesome!)
- Kayla (just lovely!)
- Ade (needs to button the shirt or just not wear one...but overall, nice)
- Melissa (Beautiful technique, but boring)
- Evan (cute as always, but easy...kind of bored with it now though)
- Jeanine (that was her worst solo by far. She was definitely making it up as she went and only moved from the one spot for a few seconds at the end...got to use that stage more...but, lovely turns!)
Overall Dancer Rankings:
- Kayla (she's still tops for me)
- Brandon (he stepped it up this week. I was impressed)
- Melissa (she's still so good)
- Jeanine (she had a rough week, so she fell a bit for me)
- Ade (eh, he's not that great right now)
- Evan (it's just his time to go)
Who Should Go Home?
This week is almost as tough as last week. I think Brandon and Kayla knocked it out of the park this week, so I think they're safe (or at least they better be since I called and voted for them). I would pick Jeanine and Evan to go home.
Who Will Go Home?
Beats me. But, I predict America will send Melissa and Ade home.
Whew...that was a long post.
You always do such a good analysis and I can't help but piggyback....
ReplyDeleteI would have to agree that I was pleasantly surprised by Sonja. When they first announced that she was doing the group numbers, I was like, "really?". But she did a good job and had some really creative ideas.
Lil C needs to go. He drives me crazy. I have to fast forward through his 10 minutes of comments every time. He hardly judges the dancers, just goes off on the philosophy of dance.
I think Evan is in trouble. He's super cute but he has trouble doing other styles. I'm honestly a little amazed he's made it this far. I have to give him credit for the group number and the broadway piece. I thought he did pretty well in those but wasn't given enough credit.
I love love love Melissa but I don't think she can stand her own against Jeanine and Kayla. I think the only reason she's here this week is due to that breast cancer piece. I am a huge Melissa fan, but I think she's gonna go home.
I am the BIGGEST fan of Jeanine! I agree that last night wasn't her best, but overall I think she's done the best out of the girls. She always seems to pull anything off but with humility and I like that. She's got a lot of spunk too which makes her shine. I hope she wins.
Yes, I know Kayla is fantastic too. However, I think the judges have hyped her up way too much. Yes, she has beautiful legs. But I'm kind of over it.
I think Brandon is a little over rated as well. Yes, his solo was amazing. However, if he had done the same solo but worn more clothes, would it have been just as good? He seems very cocky to me which I hate. "Self esteem problems?" Give me a break.
For me, Ade is the best guy. His solos are always so interesting and unique. I love his style and the way he always dances super strong.
I liked the hip hop routine last night but I wish there hadn't been boxes. I normally really like Tabitha and Napoleon's stuff and I thought the boxes were a distraction.
I hated the disco routine. I'm sorry, but it was just bad. Yes, it was a very challenging routine, but it was a mess. There was just too much going on. It wasn't necessary to do all that. The costumes were the worst.
So I think it might be Evan and Melissa going home tonight.
It's sad how much time I devote to thinking about this stuff...
I love Jeanine too. But, I was disappointed in her last night. However, her one-liners in the intro last night were pretty good. I think she has the best personality of the girls.
ReplyDeleteI do agree that Brandon is faking this "whoo is me" crap. He knows he's good. I think he's the strongest technically of the boys, but Ade is the best partner. But, Brandon knows he's good. I'm not buying the humility thing from him. Same for Kayla actually. She knows she's awesome. I'm not sure she's gotten a negative critique yet, so I'm not sure why she's still doing that shocked face she's been rocking the last few weeks when they compliment her.
I could see how the boxes distracted you. The costumes in the broadway number did the same thing for me.
Thank goodness I'm not alone on hating disco! When Brandon came out in that outfit I looked at Jeff and actually gagged. It was hideous!
I've stopped saying Evan is going home because I've said that for weeks now, and it hasn't happened. So, I'm afraid Ade might be in trouble...sadly.
Ah, I'm glad someone else out there is way too into this too!