Wednesday, July 22, 2009

SYTYCD Time

7:40 Twenty minutes until go time! Really I'm just starting this because my internet is iffy at the house and I want to make sure this post is even going to work. Jeff and I just finished a yummy dinner of peppercorn steak and horseradish potatoes au gratin (click here for the recipe). It took some time to prepare and make. But, it was well worth it. You should try it! 

7:59 I'm over this $4 Walmart prescription commercial. It plays entirely too much. No Walmart, I will not bring my prescriptions to you because it will take me 20 minutes just to find a place to park before I come in the door.

8:02 Best intro dance award goes to Ade. Fun and a bit of trick thrown in. I'm not sure what that 15 seconds of body rolling Janette was doing, but whatever.

8:03 Cat's ensemble is quite nice this evening. However, I think she needs a fun pair of chandelier earrings. 

8:05 I really don't care about Nigel's fake doctorate or Mary's babbling about being "off the chain." Move on to the dancing...

8:10 Yay another Travis Wall piece. I love him. I dug the number, but I'm not loving the outfits. I don't ever think the glow in the dark thing works that well. I'd rather just see your lines when you dance. Kayla and Brandon stood out for me as doing really well with the choreography though.

8:19 Evan and Janette being together was rigged. The producers knew the audience wouldn't vote for him again with another week of short jokes. Blah!

8:20 Evan and Janette Contemporary: Overall, I like the piece.  Evan needs to work on his technique some and he doesn't connect well with his partner. He focuses on the audience too much. They lost some steam at the end though. 

8:24 Excuse me, Mia? Janette is you absolute fav this season? Since when? She's good, but she's not Mia's kind of good.

8:25 Kayla Solo: Kayla can flat out dance! I think that was her best solo yet. She actually danced a little and put a little emotion into it rather than just doing trick after trick. Good use of the stage.

8:34 Brandon and Jeanine Waltz: Woh Brandon and Jeanine, you were not ready to go when the music started...awkward. Jeff's loving the Lord of the Rings music. The outfit made it hard to see her lines. It was just boring to me. Eh.

8:37 Ouch Mia. It wasn't that bad. And, not everyone can be at the top of your list. She's disappointing me as a judge tonight. Usually I agree with her completely.

8:39 Jason Solo: I feel like I'm watching the same solo every week when I watch Jason. Same jumps, same bad turns. His technique is great, but his musicality is not there. He picks these fast songs and then dances incredibly slowly to it. He's got to ramp up the personality or he'll be in trouble soon.

8:44 Melissa was in trouble last week so she and Ade are put back together. Shocking!

8:47 Melissa and Ade Cha Cha: Oh this is not working for me. She just looks awkward. Cha cha is supposed to look natural and she looks too placed. It's not flowing at all. They keep looking at each other like neither one knows what they're supposed to do next. It's weird. No chemistry at all this time. Boo hiss.

8:51 Janette Solo: I appreciate the break from ballroom in the solo actually. I think this actually works much better for her than trying to salsa without a partner. I didn't hate it...at all. She needs to work on those jumps a little, but overall, pretty good from her.

8:58  Kayla and Jason Broadway: I'm kind of over Tired Tyce (as I'm now going to call him). I just think his broadway choreography is so boring. He's just so unoriginal. That's a great song and he didn't have them use the stage at all. Their lines are great, though. But, I was just eh about the whole thing. Kayla is just beautiful to watch though and really outshines over Jason. I completely agree with Mia that she could take Broadway by storm. 

9:03   Ade Solo: Okay, here's where musicality actually works. Ade is very good on his own. I think he'll do well in the business. He definitely stands out from the others solo wise. He's still making me a little nervous with the backflips though. It's always a little worrisome whether he'll actually land it or not.

9:10   Janette and Evan Rumba: This dance is SO SLOW again (what is going on tonight with the slow dances) and does everyone have to dance in the dark tonight?  Jeanette definitely has that "it" factor though. She's moving up a little bit for me this week. Evan was not good, sorry. It was lacking for me.

Side note: I love Ellen, but I'm getting annoyed. I think I thought she'd actually say something useful at some point.

9:18   Melissa Solo: Melissa is just a beautiful dancer. But, I think she's losing steam a little. She just looks a little tired this week. I do like that she tried to make the routine a little more funky this week rather than just classical ballet.

9:25   Jeanine and Brandon Pop Jazz: Really we're bringing LaurieAnne on to SYTYCD?? Just because P Diddy likes you doesn't make you my fav. The choreography doesn't play to their strengths. Brandon looks much more powerful and it makes Jeanine look like a weak dancer, and she's not. Not my personal fav, but much better than their waltz.

9:29  Evan Solo: "Whoops I dropped my hat" Evan is still cute.  I just don't think it's going to get him much further though.

9:36 Jeanine Solo: Best solo of the night! I loved it. She still kept her technique and lines, but made it a little spunky. I like her!

9:39  Melissa and Ade Contemporary: I love this song! It never gets old for me. I liked the dance itself a lot. Strong lines and lots of passion behind it! Probably the best choreography I've seen Tyce do. Maybe he should stick with contemporary dances. I think this will save Melissa and Ade this week, which is good because I think she was in trouble.

9:50  Brandon Solo: He's got definitely power, but eww to that front jete...woh bent legs. Too many tricks for me. I liked last week's solo much better. But, he's still an incredible dancer.

9:53  Kayla and Jason Hip Hop: Kayla kind of surprised me. She came out really strong at the beginning. Who knew she could be funky? But, she lost it in the middle a bit and looked tired. Overall, I'm just kind of tired of Shane Sparks. We need to beef up the hip hop choreography on this show. Tabitha and Napoleon haven't been great this year and this was just ok choreography wise. Overall, they did well with what they were given.

So...I'm going to ponder on things for the evening and get back to you tomorrow morning with my top performers and who I think is heading home.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the minute by minute updates!!!

    ReplyDelete