So, for those of you who know me well, you know that I have a faulty left ankle. When I was a junior in high school, I was in dance class (shocker) and during a warm up combination to Alicia Key's "Fallin" (ironic I know) I landed weird out of a jump, twisted my ankle wrong, and down I went. It felt awesome, let me tell ya! I went to the emergency room doctor because it was the size of a helium balloon and he gave me an air cast to wear for two weeks and told me to go to the trainer and such. Being stubborn and overly determined, I sat out for one jazz class and one ballet class and that was enough waiting for me. I just danced through the pain for a while. So, I pretty much destroyed that ankle for life. I'm pretty sure something was torn in there cause I can't really feel the side of my ankle sometimes, but what's done is done at this point. Anyway, the only other residual effect is the fact that it randomly decides to stop working and I just fall down without any warning. In parking lots, on a perfectly flat sidewalk, talking on the phone, etc.
What's sad is that Jeff has a similarly bad ankle that he broke in high school and fails him occasionally. So, between the two of us, we're doomed in the ankle department.
You may now be asking, "What the heck is the point of this trip down memory lane, Ashley?" So, I saw this article today, and I think there's hope for us! The FDA just approved a new device that will allow you to have a complete ankle replacement. When I'm old and my ankle really starts to bother me, I can just get a new one! Rejoice! And, yes, that is a picture of my new future ankle above. Sort of gross, but kind of cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment