Wednesday, May 19, 2010

End of the Year Celebration

Yesterday, our office had our annual end of the year celebration at a local restaurant. It's really nice because we have so many different areas within our one department (student activities, leadership, student health, campus safety, chaplain, community service, res life, dean of students office). So, it's just a nice chance for us to get together after the students are gone (and celebrate!...just kidding, I miss them already). But, we just chat about the year, see what everyone's summer plans are, and recognize those who are leaving for new jobs or retiring.

Every year, each area of the department is asked to select a person from another department to recognize for either something they did to help their department or who they just want to give a shout out to. The groups do fun things to recognize people. It sounds bad, but since I'm technically in two areas, I'd kind of resigned to the fact that I wouldn't likely ever get picked for a recognition. But, yesterday, the leadership office recognized me as their person of honor this year! I was legitimately shocked. They wrote me a lovely haiku (which didn't really fit haiku protocol, but I let it go) and got me a couple of cercies. It was great fun! That was my first professional shout out award. I gotta say, it felt nice. My haiku is below.



But, if you can't read it, it says:

Your Wildcat welcome
Reliable and friendly
Makes the students smile

Good advice you give
Supporting student leaders
Makes our campus great

We do admire thee,
Our retreat paparazzi
Ashley Mamele

No comments:

Post a Comment