Sorry it took me a day to actually get this blog together, but I had to recover from my 27 hours of NASCAR. So, I officially survived my first race, and despite the rain, I didn't hate it.
As you know, the race was supposed to be on Sunday. So, that afternoon Jake and Rebecca Lee as well as Bec's brother-in-law, Richard, met us at our place and we all piled into the 4-Runner to head to the race.
We got to take back roads from Davidson, so it really didn't take us that long to get there and the traffic wasn't bad since we didn't get anywhere near I-85. I think it took us longer to wind through the parking lot to find a space than it took to get to the track. Even though it was a little drizzly, we got out Jeff's Christmas present (first time we've gotten to use it!), and grilled up some hamburgers, turkey burgers, and brats. That grill rocks!
So, we tailgated for a while because the race was delayed. Then, we headed in, thinking the rain was going to pass. It didn't, but it was fun people-watching and I got a corn dog, so what could really be better? Maybe if the cars had ever left pit row, but whatever.
So, we stayed there and watched the jet engine track dryers keep trying to dry off the track. But, every time they'd get it dry, it'd start raining again. So, they postponed the race until noon on Monday (which they've never had to do in the 50 years they've held the race...maybe I'm bad luck for NASCAR). So, we headed back to the parking lot and tailgated until around 11:30 pm because the cars were moving no where, literally. Luckily, we didn't really care and had extra food and beer. Nothing like two tailgates in one day!
The next day, just Jeff and I came back because folks had other Memorial Day commitments with their fams. It was fun though. They actually started their engines (whoa that's loud), they left pit row, I sort of saw them driving by me (they move quite quickly you know), and they ran 227 laps before they had to call it because it rained some more.
Overall, it was much fun had by all! I've decided to summarized my favorite and least favorite things about my first NASCAR experience below...enjoy and, hopefully, it will be helpful if you ever decide to attend a race.
Things I Liked:
1) Tailgating with friends: The new portable grill just took the tailgating to a new level. So much fun! Maybe we'll invest in a pop-up tent next Christmas though.
2) The Sprint FanView: My boss told me about this one and we've decided that it is a must have from now on! It lets you listen to the commentators, hear the spotters and drivers talk to each other on the radios, what the video coverage, and the headset blocks out all the noise (which is amazing considering how extremely loud the whole thing is)
3) Having seats under the cover by turn 1: I felt bad for everyone out in the rain, but I was quite comfy under the cover
4) Kasey Kahne: I picked him as my driver because he's by far the cutest NASCAR driver out there at the moment
5) Fair food: Who knew it wasn't just once a year- I could get used to that
6) People watching: There was a wide variety of people at this thing...and not all white-trash either. It was strange! Definitely some interesting ensembles, though. I think the rain tamed things down a bit though. I didn't get to see as many outfits due to the ponchos.
7) The fact that you can bring in your own beer and food: Definitely cuts down on the concessions costs.
Things I Didn't Like So Much:
1) Everyone tells you how loud it's going to be (and it is), but they don't tell you that it really smells. The burning tires smell really bad and the people who've been camping out are not the most pleasant smell. By day 2, it was a little rough.
2) It's the only sporting event I know of where you can sit in your seat and smoke. I'm sorry, but this needs to change. It was ridiculous. At least make it where people have to go down on a plaza somewhere to light up. Or maybe you could have a non-smoking section. Sorry, but it was bad!
3) That track is big and that's a long walk from one place to the other. I definitely got my exercise.
So, the pros definitely outweighed the cons. Now on to my awards for some poor souls I saw over my two days.
Most Original Ensemble
Shortest Shorts (on a girl)
Best Matching J-ort (Jean Short) Ensemble
Most Annoying Fan (she literally yelled every time Kasey Kahne drove passed us...did she think he could hear or see her??? I guess so).
No comments:
Post a Comment