So, I think the longer you go without blogging the harder it is to start a new post. The whole time you're just dreading that it's going to be too long for people to read because soooo much has happened over the last two weeks. So, I've decided to recap via pictures! It doesn't quite give you the full picture of what's been going on. But, it's a start.
The craziness mostly began with Move-in on Wednesday, Aug 19. Over 90% of the freshmen moved into their residence halls with the help of 100 Orientation Team members, who were just awesome this year!
However, they weren't allowed to stay there that evening. So, Thursday morning the rest of the first-years moved in, they all checked in at the Union and went through this elaborate maze we have set out for them where they get their ID cards, post office box keys, advisor information, etc, etc, etc. Before they entered, they received a warm welcome from my Union Board folks (see them above...don't let them fool you...they are this nuts. But, that's why I like them).
They dressed up the new students in silly costumes. The goal is to make everyone feel equally as awkward as everyone else. Then, they and their parents had a day full of activities including an opening session where all the deans talk, an afternoon full of information sessions, and the president's convocation (one of my favorite events) where the president talks about the class from 100 years before and the similarities/differences and his goals for the new class.
The day wound down with hall meetings and an Ice Cream Social put on by my UB folks. It's low-key and they all got to start meeting each other for real.
Friday was a crazy day of group and individual
advising sessions for students, parents reception at the
President's house (that's where I got the weird question from that dad in my last post), a farewell picnic where we kick the parents off campus so the students can focus, the class picture (which you saw in the last post), and the Freshmen Olympics. The freshmen hall system here is very intense. They all compete and think that their hall is the best. So, they all get dressed up in different outfits battle it out for bragging rights with silly games over the course of 4 hours. Here's a pic of one of OTs from last year, Jamie, and her hall (she's a hall counselor this year which is a big deal on campus).
Saturday was another long day! They do the service walk, a 5K around town where they learn about the community of Davidson and issues/ways to get involved in the community. They raise money for the walk as I mentioned earlier, and it was just awesome to see the Director of the Ada Jenkins clinic so excited to hear that total. After that, they have a crop lunch, a short break (when I blogged last time), and go to a session about academics and the common reading book they all read over the summer.
I think the timing of my last blog was ironic. Things were going so smoothly. Then, it happened. The big snafu. So, right after the Life of the Mind, they are dismissed to go to locations all over campus to meet in small groups with faculty and staff about the book for about an hour. I leave to go unlock one of the greek life house we're using for a meeting (because the card reader wasn't working for some reason) and about 5 steps out of the door the clouds open. It's a monsoon. No worries, I have an umbrella. I get all the way down the hill and unlock the door, when I get the dreaded phone call from one of my OTs. Up the hill (a 4 minute run away from me) the card readers aren't letting anyone into Chambers (no new students, no faculty, no staff, not even the President)! Half of the book discussions are in Chambers. So, 250 people are standing out in the monsoon waiting to get in. AHH! Luckily, it's also upperclassmen move-in day and our person who schedules the card readers, who is "so sorry" she forgot to schedule Chambers to be open when I requested it, is in her office today and I get her on the phone. So, by the time I make it to the building, she has changed the settings and everyone is let in in the form of drowned rats (don't worry, the school photographer has proof for me in the photo below).
There always has to be one catastrophe. Boo hiss to monsoons.
So, I took my drenched self back to the Union and helped the UB set up for their big party that night. It was a circus/city night life theme with cirque performers, a tented ceiling over the union, velcro walls, jugglers, a rave, funnel cakes, face painting, and other fun stuff. It was a big hit and I they worked really hard.

Sunday (THE LAST DAY OF ORIENTATION, YAY!) I met the poster sale folks at the crack of dawn to get them set up in the Union and then headed out to the Lake Campus to meet the inflatables company. Jeff and Midas joined me. After the guy got set up we played in the water with the dog until the UB students arrived at noon. Jeff helped us get the grilling started and then all the first year students started arriving around 1.
They played on the slip-n-slides and obstacles courses, ate food, listened to music, and played in the lake. It's the most relaxed event of orientation and they seemed to have a blast.
Their last event was the Honor Code Signing that evening. It's the 100th anniversary of the student run system here at Davidson, so it was a big deal. The students take it all very seriously around here. At the end, they were officially oriented! That's all I have time for right now. In the next post, I'll bring you all the details of Welcome Week, which started on Monday!
No wonder you fell off the face of the earth! That sounds like a lot of work and a lot of fun!! You are so perfect for that job :-)
ReplyDelete