Thursday, August 27, 2009

I'm Not Sure You're Ready For More

But, if I don't do it now, it's not gonna happen! So, I have 30 minutes before I have to go check on my youngsters for their next event. So, here it goes! 

Last year when I started at Davidson, I was really excited with how orientation went and all of the great social events first-years had during orientation. They seemed like they were really getting to know each other well. Then, the first week of classes came and they were thrown in with 1200 other students and we pretended like they didn't need any assimilation into the community as a whole. So, early this spring, myself and two RLO staffers set out to create what is now referred to as Wildcat Welcome Week (try saying that really fast, which I've done a few times and it does not work well...whew tongue twister). So, I've been calling it WWW lately.

So far, I'm just thrilled with how things are going. Sure there are already things I want to tweak for next year, but I'm just so happy with the interactions happening between all of the students. The attendance and feedback have been great too!

Again, I'm going with a week in pictures. Since the best events haven't even happened yet (we're trying to have a blowout weekend), I'll continue to post as the weekend progresses. 

Monday= How to Utilize Your Academic Advisor Session, Freshmen Hall Dinners, Dip-N-Mix, and The Davidson Show Orientation Edition

Over 500 people showed up for our Dippin' Dots mixer! Who knew weird ice cream balls would bring together so many students.







The Davidson Show was also a hit with over 500 in attendance for the live viewing. TDS is a weekly student-run variety show. They filmed throughout orientation week and always put together hilarious highlights of awkward freshmen and ridiculous parents. Then, they show it live with performances from various student groups (such as The Generals a cappella group you see above). You can watch the whole show here if you have some spare time and need a good laugh. Also, I'm sadly sitting really close to the camera guy during the filming of this, so you can hear me laugh a few times. Awful! 

Tuesday= Exercise Resources and Facilities Info Session and Disney-Pixar's Up on one of our pretty lawns

Sadly, I have no pictures because it was dark for the movie and I had to do a training for our Cats Connect peer mentoring program at the beginning of the film when it wasn't as dark. So, I thought it would be awkward to take pictures of people 45 minutes into a film in the dark. So, this leaves you with a boring paragraph. But, about 250 people came and everyone clapped at the end. I call that a huge success for a Tuesday night. I truly love that film. I'm totally getting it when it comes out on DVD. Can't wait!

Wednesday= Freshmen Cake Race, Info Session about Patterson Court (Davidson's greek life), and Carnaval en Davidson. 

Did I mention that the Cake Race is one of the weirdest things Davidson's freshmen do? Here's the random ch-peal from the historian about the race itself. "In 1934, the freshman class endured a mandatory 1.7 mile race because the track coach, Pete Whittle, hoped to uncover hidden talent in the incoming freshmen class and ask them to come out for the track team. He realized there needed to be an incentive, and that is where the 'cake' in Cake Race comes from. The cakes rewarded to the winners are donated by people in the Davidson Community, mostly professors and staff members. This race, which has been held every year since 1934, (except during WWII and 1972) has become a trademark of Davidson College and its incoming freshmen. Participation today is now voluntary; whereas, in the beginning 'The race was mandatory unless you were in the infirmary or had only one leg.'"
 
Since I don't have the pictures from this year's race yet, I've included a pic from 1922 (which does not at all hold up the idea that it started in 1934). Who knows. Anyways, they all run for cake every year and I find it incredibly odd. But, they love their weird tradition around here. 

Update: Here's a pic below from this year!












Thursday/Today= Activities Fair, Info Session with the student Health Advisors, Roll with ACAA, and Live Thursday Featuring Shades of Brown

Another one of my big ideas was to move the Activities Fair out of orientation and into Welcome Week. It used to be held on the day upperclassmen moved in. That just meant that grumpy (and sweaty) upperclassmen were trying to get organized and recruit new members to their organizations. Also, we used to hold it in the Union Atrium. I, who does not have an issue with confined spaces, felt like I was going to sufficate with that many people in such tight quarters. It was mayhem last year. 
So, I decided to move it outside onto Chambers Lawn during the first week of classes. Overall, I think it was much more relaxing and social outside. However, I'm a little concerned that since it used to be on their orientation schedule where most things are mandatory, that our attendance may have been a little lower. Don't get me wrong, there were still a TON of people. But, I'm not sure as many as usual. But, it's all about quality and not quantity. So, I'm thinking we'll stay with outside. Davidson's 120/ way to many organizations for a small school should be welcoming lots of new members to their organizations after today.

After that, I headed to the Union for Roll with ACAA (Asian Cultural Awareness Association). They were teaching people how to make yummy spring rolls and listening to fun music. It was a big hit! Even President Ross made a cameo. Sadly, I didn't snap a picture of that because I felt like a stalker. 

So, now I'm checking emails and blogging in my office until Live Thursday. It's our weekly UB event where student performers are showcased in our main event space in the Union. The bar is open and students just hang out every Thursday listening/watching their peers perform. Tonight our step team is doing a Michael Jackson tribute. Can't wait! 

I'll give you updates on LT and the rest of our events this weekend (Black Student Coalition's version of Wild N Out and Hypnotist tomorrow night plus the GSA Panel Discussion, Cats Connect Kickoff Ceremony, Welcome Back Concert Featuring Wale, and Star Trek as our late-night film on Saturday)! So much down, so much to go! Until next time...hope you're all doing great! 

2 comments:

  1. So cute. We have a cake race too at Tech. The female and male winners get a kiss from Mr and Miss Georgia Tech at the Homecoming game. I thought about you today because I was asked to come speak to a freshman class at the College of Management at Tech. It got me thinking about my orientation days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still waiting for my picture of the bronze statue.

    ReplyDelete