Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Neighborhood Geese

Say hello to my geese friends. Just waddling through the park in Davidson. Happily squawking at those who wander by. This time of year, we have lots of Canadian geese hanging about as they migrate south. I happen to thoroughly enjoy watching the little kids feeding them bread or watching them cross the street in their cute little single-file lines and occasionally panicking when I once saw them wondering down the exit ramp onto I-77 (mama goose was leading those goslings astray).

I just read an article on davidsonnews.net (our local online newspaper/gossip column) that says the town has hired some company called Goose Busters to come "get rid" of the geese because they poop.  There are maybe 70 geese and it's not like their taking over by any means. The picture above is what it looks like around here on a regular basis. Don't they look so menacing?? Oh wait, they don't.

I'm sick of it. First, our beloved beavers. And, now, our geese. This is silly. They were here first. We've built and grown onto their space. I was slightly traumatized the day we went down to do our daily chat with the beavers and they'd blown up their dam (and I'm assuming our beavers along with it) and now we're sicking herding dogs on the geese to shoo them away. I'm not okay with this!!!! Leave our local wildlife alone!

1 comment:

  1. They aren't OUR wildlife, they're Canadian, and thus, we have no sovereignty over them

    ReplyDelete