Monday, January 11, 2010

Lazy Weekend... Well Sort Of

Wow what a crazy lazy weekend! Do you ever intend to have a lazy weekend in town that accidentally turns into a busy one? Granted it was fun though.

Thursday, we had my boss over to watch the football game. I was sad McCoy was injured so early because I was expecting a decent game. The comeback at the end was unexpected and intriguing. But, I wasn't shocked when Alabama got it under control and now reigns victorious.


Friday, we had a new senior accountant from Jeff's office and his wife over for dinner at our place. They just moved here from Wisconsin. It wasn't our best meal (steaks were a little too done, we had to nuc the potatoes in the microwave because after an hour and a half in the oven they still weren't fully cooked. And, we're usually decent cooks. Don't know what happened. But, I thought the parmesan green beans and the salad were good. 

Anyways, after dinner we decided to go bowling. The Union Board went to this amazing bowling alley for their holiday gathering this year. We've been dying to go back. It's 40 lanes, with tvs at the ends of the lanes and is extremely clean. Little did we know that on Friday night it's also cosmic bowling. We spent 3 hours bowling. Jeff's working on his technique and really wants us to join one of their bowling leagues. I max out at about 91 myself. But, it's still really fun.
Saturday, we slept in late and then went to The Egg for breakfast for lunch. Then, we headed to our new movie theater in town. It's only 4 screens and the 2 larger theaters hold 90 people and the 2 smaller hold 40. It was very cute. It has cafe tables and chairs rather than all rows and serve local food and coffee in addition to regular movie food. Here's a pic of Jeff with his coffee(it's kind of dark though since I took it with my phone).

We saw Sherlock Holmes. For those of you who don't know, I got my 7th choice for my freshmen humanities class and had to take an entire semester on the stories of Sherlock Holmes. So, I'm somewhat of an expert (though slightly unwillingly). I liked the film for its cinematography and I don't ever expect films to live up to the books, especially when they're trying to wrap up such a huge amount of work into 2 hours. But, I didn't think Jude Law was at all like the Watson character in the books and it was dumb to bring the Irene Adler character in the way they did. They made her seem much dumber than she was in the books.I also expected Moriarty to play a bigger role in the film. Guess they're setting themselves up for a sequel. But, it was still entertaining. 

Saturday night, we headed to the Charlotte Symphony's performance of Vivaldi's Four Season at the Blumenthal. It's a cool building, though not as big as I thought it'd be. It's kind of like the Peace Center in Greenville. Jeff loved it! So, I think we'll be going back for another performance some time this spring after we check out the options. I liked it, but I'm not as big of a music buff as Jeff. I'm just hanging in there until March, when Wicked tickets go on sale for the May show! Ah, so excited.




Other than that, we've just been laying low and getting stuff done around the house. Jeff's working longer hours now with tax season gearing up. The students came back Monday, so my life is crazy again. But, it's always kind of nice to here the low roar in the building when they're back. It's just too quiet around here without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment