Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm Back

So, I officially need a day off. And due to the weather, that might be happening tomorrow (this is good and bad though).

The past week and a half has been officially insane! We've had several huge events here on campus and just lots of general student drama, so that's translated into little sleep for me.

Last Saturday was the first ever WinterFest! It was joint event between the SGA, Union Board, and PCC (essentially like Panhellenic and IFC combined at other schools). There were bands, $1 beer, games, karaoke, lots of food, etc from 10 pm-3 am. The event was an attempt to have an event where all students (drinkers and non-drinkers, greek and non-greek) would come together to hang together. I'd say they accomplished that part. They had a blast and about 75% of the student body was there. It was just a shame a few students had to do stupid things (i.e. steal two very expensive wireless microphones, punch a hole in the wall above a urinal, vomit in several main pathways of the building, jump over a railing onto the stage from a full floor above and almost give me a heart attack, and just general debauchery and drunken stubbornness. Overall, the event was actually a huge success but there were just moments of insanity. At least they had fun. I however could not feel my feet for two days and didn't get to bed until 5 am.

Luckily, I had a day to recover before The Opera Show (one of our Artist Series performances) rolled into town on Monday with their 40 people to handle. We were only their 4th stop on their first American tour which is cool but equalled major disorganization on their part. They left stuff at the Peace Center, couldn't fit all of their equipment on the truck there during load out so they wanted to do a practice load out here (we said no-go because of the time crunch), and just did a terrible job of advancing the show. Luckily, we'd prepared for the worst, so it went smoother than expected. I thought the two acts (of three) that I actually got to watch were really good and I got great feedback from other staff and students. At least we got out of there around 1:30 am instead of the 4 am we were expecting.

The rest of the week has just been nuts. We got approval from the Dean of Students to put in an offer on a controversial artist for the concert this year. Then, today we finally had to pull one of the two available dates off the table last minute. So, we're down to one date which is going to make it unlikely for them to accept the offer (well at least at the price we went in at). But, we'll see. 

Other than that, the other crazy, last-minute contracts we get on a normal basis and events this week (it's my weekend again this weekend, since I'm going skiing next weekend [side note yay]) have just made me exhausted. 

But, good and sort of bad news has come my way today. Tomorrow night is supposed to be the big annual step show on campus and was essentially going to consume my afternoon and evening. However, as of 2:10 pm, we're slated to get 7-10 inches of snow between tonight and tomorrow afternoon! Have I mentioned I love snow! If so, the event is most likely to get cancelled, which is good and bad. Good because I'll get a day off. Bad because I REALLY feel bad for the student committee that's spent the past year putting it together. The groups are coming from all over and it doesn't look like traveling is going to be too easy tomorrow. We'll see though.

I'll keep you updated. But, there will most likely be fun snow pictures up here very soon!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment