This past week has flown by. It was mostly filled with doing about 12 loads of laundry that had built up, giving the house a thorough cleaning, finding room for Jeff's new whitewater canoe (he sold all of his kayak stuff to upgrade to his new sport of choice), and getting plans ready for Wofford Homecoming!I always look forward to stepping back on campus again, but was especially great this year because so many people were able to make it back. I took last Friday off from work (much needed) and headed to Hendersonville to drop off Midas with his grandparents. Jeff and his dad worked on something with the house and I watched a marathon of Project Runway (heavenly).
Then, we headed down to Sparkle City, checked into the hotel, and headed off to dinner with a bunch of my ZTA ladies and their significant others at a new restaurant in town. After we all caught up with each other, we headed to the street party they have every year. I think the best part is that your old professors serve as the bartenders...highly entertaining. We headed down to the row around 11:30 and it was dead! So weird. Homecoming was one of the busiest nights when we were undergrads, so I'm not really sure what's going on there. But, we managed to hang and chat with people and partake in a late-night trip to Papa Sams (yummy waffle house-esque local establishment we used to frequent).
Saturday, Jeff and I held a tailgate (thanks to the awesome tailgating gear we/Jeff acquired from my parents last Christmas) for the game. The tailgating rules and location used to be great at Wofford. Essentially, if you got there early, you could get a great spot. Now, you have to park down on the intramural fields if you're not a season ticket parker no matter what time it is. I understand, but it wasn't what we expected. You also have to pay a different price if you're tailgating rather than just parking. Weird. So, we're looking into upgrading and getting a spot next season. Because, it was kind of annoying that people had to hike to the intramural fields to tailgate. But, it was still a blast.
We went in to the game, and lost. Enough said. ZTA definitely represented on the homecoming court. I think 3 of the top 10 were ZTA's, and one won. However, one of the lovely ladies could have worn a slightly less snug and less neon yellow dress (yikes! fashion faux pas). I think the boys enjoyed it though.
After, Jeff and I made a cameo at the religion 340 reunion. It wasn't the same since Dr. McGehee wasn't there, but we're glad we stopped by because I'm pretty sure this will be the last year it happens.
We bid on a couple of silent auction items and almost won a sweet Wofford cornhole set to go with our tailgating gear, but we were outbid at the last minute and couldn't justify spending an extra $100 for it. Maybe next year. The live auction was neat. I had to hold back Jeff for the 4 tickets to Sunday at the Masters, but it was a blast to watch. We hung there until late night and we'll definitely be attending again next year. Lots of fun (as you can see)!
We took a short trip to the row after that and listened to the band at the Pike house until they had to stop at midnight. We hung out a bit after that, and headed home around 1:30. There were a lot more people at the row Saturday, but it was still kind of quiet compared to what I remember. But, maybe that's just my "it was better in my day" mentality coming out unnecessarily.
Sunday, we had a yummy early lunch at Wades with Sarah, Ned, Josh, and Cowles to celebrate Ned's 28th birthday (old man). That place is still delicious (fried chicken and double mac, what could be better?). We need to find a good home-cooking place in Charlotte. If anyone knows of one we should try, let me know.
Then, we headed up to Hendersonville to pick up Midas. We ended up deciding to stay there Sunday night to visit. So, we went on a little hike in Chimney Rock Park. Ignore my sandals. I wasn't prepared for hiking at homecoming. It was just beautiful out. The leaves aren't fully changing yet, but they're starting to. I think we'll head back in a couple of weeks to see it at it's peak. We had yummy dinner at a place on Lake Lure called Larkins on the Lake, which had great crab cakes. I definitely recommend it if you're in the area. We just relaxed the rest of the night, ate some apple dumplings, and watched random television.
Monday, we headed back early and I worked all day. Sarah, a great friend from grad school, was traveling for work and stayed with us Monday night. So, we've had a fun few days catching up with great friends and family. I just wish every weekend could be this way.
Sunday, we had a yummy early lunch at Wades with Sarah, Ned, Josh, and Cowles to celebrate Ned's 28th birthday (old man). That place is still delicious (fried chicken and double mac, what could be better?). We need to find a good home-cooking place in Charlotte. If anyone knows of one we should try, let me know.
Monday, we headed back early and I worked all day. Sarah, a great friend from grad school, was traveling for work and stayed with us Monday night. So, we've had a fun few days catching up with great friends and family. I just wish every weekend could be this way.
No comments:
Post a Comment