Monday, October 26, 2009

Ahh...A Moment to Breathe

It's been a super busy week (like it has been since mid-August). It was Family Weekend here at Davidson, which is one of my major job responsibilities for the Dean of Students Office. You can see all of their festivities here, but I'll just touch on a couple of things below.

#1 Rain



















As you can see above, while we did our best please don't rain dance, it didn't work. The only events we really had to move around were the Tailgate Picnic and the Music and Dance Festival on Saturday. Sadly, they had to come indoors. But, parents were really understanding (which is rare) and I actually kind of liked the student performances inside rather than on the main lawn. 

#2 Geez these youngsters are talented! 

I'm always impressed with how talented and artistic the students at Davidson are for such a small school. I wish I could say it was that way at Wofford, but I don't think it was. Or, maybe it just wasn't highlighted in the same way. Between the student-run dance company, three a cappella groups, jazz ensemble, theater production, choral groups, and dance ensembles, I was just overwhelmed with the great artist performances of students this weekend.

#3 I'm grateful that my parents never got on stage at a late-night band party on any of my family weekends in college (I should also preface these with the fact that the bar was open). Thank you mom and dad!

Parents should not embarrass their children by doing this...














Or this....














Or any of this...














Oh, it was great people watching on Saturday night. 

#4 The Intramural Quiz Bowl Tournament (one of my Union job responsibilities) started last night. These youngsters are smarty pants. I just sit there pretending I know any of the answers. I did know a series of art history questions and for some reason I remembered a bunch about the election of 1876 (who knew that would stick from high school history class). So, that will take up a bunch of my Wednesday and Sunday nights until the end of November. Gotta love it.

Even though Quiz Bowl is starting up, things really are going to settle down at work a good bit now. My official job responsibilities for the Dean of Students Office are now done (whew another orientation and family weekend down) until next spring. So, I can focus solely on the Union stuff. Even though it's still busy, it makes things a lot easier because I'm not working between two offices. So, I'm excited. I also took a half day today, so that was nice and refreshing.

I do need to apologize that I did not write about SYTYCD last week. To be honest, I was thoroughly disappointed and I just couldn't bring myself to write about it. I'm sorry, but Paula was my absolute favorite from day 1 and I can't believe she turned the show down. I guess her movie role must be good. But, Ashley is not Paula and I'm kind of upset they picked her over some of the others they didn't keep. Her facial expressions are going to drive me crazy and I think she's going to be a fake drama queen. 

Also, I'm thoroughly confused on whether Mia Michaels is leaving the show or not. On Oct 16, the LA Times reported her gone. But, now there's all these whisperings that she's not really leaving. I'm not sure I'm going to want to watch the show unless they replace her with someone fabulous. Maybe she's just mad they moved up Season 7 and she needs a break. I hope she comes back. She never lets me down with her choreography. But, if she was replaced, I'm kind of hoping they'll bring in Brooke Pierroti. But, we'll see how things shape up. 

In other news, I'm happy about the following:
1. Gamecocks finally beating Vanderbilt (sorry to my fellow commodores, but I always rank for whoever is having a better season and I was going to be really mad if we lost and it took us out of the rankings).
2. I'm thoroughly enjoying the new ABC show Modern Family. It's just hilarious! Glee also continues to make me happy.
3. Jeff's brother Chris just rescued an Australian cattle dog. So, now Midas has a cousin to play with at family functions.

That's it for now. Jeff's ready to leave the coffee shop we're sitting in and I'm heading back to campus for a bit for a meeting. Have a great week folks! I'll post after/ or maybe during tomorrow night's SYTYCD thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment