Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Back at It

I've been absent from the blogging for a bit. But, my mom says I at least need to do my SCTYCD recaps, especially since I missed last week (I didn't blog because I didn't see it until late Thursday night and I really only liked the hip hop number). So, here we go for tonight...

Lauren and Pasha: I'm not sure why we have to be half-naked for ballroom numbers...not my favorite look on her. But (and this is a bit mean), at least she's not looking as chunky as Anya is lately. The beginning was good, but she lost serious steam as she went along. They didn't really use the stage much and the lifts were lacking for me. She had some nice moments and committed, but it was a B for me.

Jose and Lauren- Oh this is so hard to watch. He has nothing in his face. It's like they said, "Just stand here while we have Lauren dance around you. Maybe they won't notice that you're there and can't point your feet or have any semblance of a nice line." Oh dear. Might be the worst dancer I've seen in contemporary on the show ever. Oh, why is Mandy Moore on her feet? Oh dear, don't tell me the judges were going to say that was good! Boo! Be honest. He seems like a nice guy, but it is a dance competition. It's a bit silly.

Kent and Comfort- Dave Scott's choreography is so boring so I don't necessarily blame it on the dancers. He doesn't give them any way to connect and I don't enjoy choreography where you have to mirror each other the whole time. Boo Dave Scott. It wasn't groovy or Justin Timberlake-esque. This is just silly, these judges are angering me this evening. They like everything, and it's just bologna.

Adechicke and Lauren- I just keeping thinking, "Dance already." We just climbed on a bar the whole time with the exception of 2 eight counts. The choreographers are killing these dancers tonight. At least someone decided to be honest, finally. Thank you Mia. He just doesn't have the facial expressions to come across on camera in a big enough way and the technique is mediocre.

Billy and Katie- Hope Allison's okay, but I love Katie. Really good song choice for him. The choreographer did a good job making it slinky and yet hard hitting. I liked it. Oops bad turns at the end! But, otherwise, I liked it. The style worked well for him and it was nice to have broadway routine that wasn't as peppy as they normally do.

Ashley and Dominic- There just wasn't enough personality in it for me. She's just going through the motions for me. The last 15 seconds where they left the stage was the most personality in the whole number. She just tried too hard, I think, and looked nervous to me. But, not the worst of the night by any means. Just okay.

Robert and Katherine- the beginning was weird for me because they were using different beats and were off. I liked the idea, but it was not executed for me. I think Robert is possibly just a bad partner. He doesn't look like he's ever looking for her hands for the lifts or concerned about her positioning in the air. I think that's why they are having trouble with their lifts. He's spending too much time playing to the crowd and less time focusing on their partnering placement. I was too nervous for her to really enjoy it.

Adechike- I'm sad Alex is hurt! I was starting to like him more each week. I'm giving Adechike a pass on this since they had to re-choreograph it today and that's a tough last-minute thing to handle. But, just so you know how I felt, he was a little bouncy for me. Mia was right on with the African dance comment. Overall, I thought the judges were a little harsh on him though and Cat was right to call them out on their hypocrisy. I think the judges want a boy to go home (so they're not down to 1 girl) and they want that boy to be Adechike, apparently.

Lauren and Kent- I really like seeing the youngsters dance together. I actually believe them together! They've been having to act like these characters the past few weeks that are so far from who they are. But, tonight, this choreography made so much sense on them. This was lovely. Her lines were beautiful and Kent was a great partner. He was right there for her, but had the technique too. The opening part with them traveling together across the stage was just so in sync and beautifully stretched. Loved the whole number! A+

Ashley and Robert- This song is just horrid. But, anyways. I'm not a Robert fan this evening. He's just not been a good partner tonight. Ashley's shoulders tend to bother me for some reason. They're always up a little high. I think her lines would look better if she pushed them down and lengthened out a little bit. But, it's quickstep, what does anyone expect?

Billy and Jose- I'm not getting African from this. Jose just doesn't do it for me. He's exhausted half way through. He's a hip hop dancer, he should be able to do this. Billy can do some weird stuff with his body (which I'm beginning to appreciate more). But, I don't think the dance looks structured enough for me.

My bottom 3:
1) Jose
2) Adechike
3) Robert

Kent and Lauren win for me tonight (even though Kent overdoes it for me most of the time).

Good night for now. I'll update you on life tomorrow when I'm back in Charlotte!

No comments:

Post a Comment