Wednesday, July 13, 2011

SYTYCD: Last Night for Couples

Hey peeps! Don't worry, I've been watching every week. But, to be honest, I've been underwhelmed overall this season. I think the girls are amazing, but their male counterparts and the choreography they've been given (for the most part) have been subpar in my opinion. So, I haven't been doing my weekly blog post like normal. But, I thought since it was the last night of the newbie couples together, I'd put my input in for the Top 10 selection! Enjoy (or completely disagree...whatevs).

Top 12 Dances Thoughts: My Rankings Best to Worst


Melanie and Marco
I don't think Dee's really lived up to his potential on SYTYCD until tonight. Just a simple light bulb and song apparently make all the difference. I think he's been over-thinking it with these ridiculously complicated themes and tonight he simplified it and it really worked. Love love loved it. Beautiful transitions and musicality as well as great technique from the dancers. A++


Tadd and Jordan- Contemporary
I don't usually love such themed pieces, but I thought Travis really used Jordan's quirkiness and Tadd's style really well. Cool contortions in really technically proficient ways...loved it. A+


Clarice and Jess- Hip Hop
I thought the story line was slightly cheesy, but cute for this song. Nice choreo. They've really learned to hit the music together which is great for the piece and I didn't find Jess as annoying as usual. He's toned down the facial expressions a little. The smooth hip hop really suited Clarice's style. A-


Melanie and Marco- Tango
I can honestly say that this is one of the first ballroom numbers I've really enjoyed since Kayla and Max's samba from Season 5. I thought she worked that stage and their musicality was great. Her commitment to that last lift where she dove down backwards and flipped actually made me gasp. Sure it wasn't perfect, but I thought the commitment and connection was great. A-

Caitlynn and Mitchell- Jazz
I think I would have liked this number better in person. The camera angles were throwing me off a little for this number I think. Based on what I saw, I liked the choreography and sass, but I just kept thinking that they looked really tired. It was just a little slow and shaky. And, I really want them to pull up Caitlynn's hair out of her face (they've had it all over the place for a few weeks in a row and it bugs me). Just not the connection and chemistry you should have after dancing together for so long now, but not bad. B+

Sasha and Alexander- Pasodoble
It's been my thought that Alexander does not have the ability to hear music. So, he just looks silly when Sasha hits every note with full force. This was much better for them than previous nights, but it was still just eh for me. While Sasha definitely stands out over Alexander, I think she's the weakest girl technically. B-


Jess and Clarice- Jive
Ehh. His personality worked for Jive, but he's just so short that every time he picks her up I gasp in a "please please please don't drop her" kind of way. I just can't enjoy them in these kind of numbers together because I think she's at a real disadvantage with his height.  In fact, she often has to partner in the male role (i.e. swinging him through her legs like she did in this number). It's just awkward to me. Her attitude was fun in this number, but her weird mouthing/semi-singing the song was too much. Overall, just eh. B-


Sasha and Alexander- Jazz
Oh Tired Tyce, how I loathe thee and your boring choreography. Nothing like a boob grab and some random leaping to make me want to fast forward through a dance within the first three 8-counts. The dancers definitely committed to the dance and gave it their all, but I just didn't get it or think that running around flailing was really that appealing. Sasha's stage presence is amazing, but as soon as she gets me reeled in then she always does something weird technically that makes me snap back out of the moment. And Alex is just there. Eh. C



Jordan and Tadd- Broadway
Oh Spencer, I don't think you'll be back any time soon. Another badly choreographed number. Nothing like turning a great sexy song from Rent into a weird/boring/amateurish number. I just felt bad because I didn't feel like dancers really got to dance much. Tadd had to wake her up, then he spent a good amount of time standing in one place while Jordan got to grind on him, and then spin and done. Not good at all. C-



Ryan and Ricky- Broadway
This looked like a dance choreographed for an 8-year-old recital number. And, Ryan and Ricky brought absolutely no personality to it either. Nothing else to say... really boring and not even technically very good. C-


Caitlynn and Mitchell- Hip Hop
Wow. Were they both really bad or what? Mitchell looked like he was doing a cheerleading routine instead of hip hop and Caitlynn took the theme way too seriously and looked like she was going to bust out in tears at any moment. The combo just made the whole thing into a big jumbled mess. D

Ryan and Ricky- Cha Cha
The judges really praised Ricky, but I'll be honest and say that I never even noticed if he was any good or not because Ryan was soooo bad. I usually like her and think she is great (minus her annoying attitude). But, she her feet and balance were so off tonight. She looked turned in and awkward. Maybe he wasn't strong enough to give her support during all of the spinning, but it was sloppy to me. D


My Current Rankings

  1. Melanie
  2. Marco
  3. Caitlynn
  4. Clarice (I think she'll bloom without Jess as a partner)
  5. Ryan (though tonight was terrible and she would be much lower if I didn't take the whole season into consideration)
  6. Tadd
  7. Jordan
  8. Sasha
  9. Ricky
  10. Jess 
  11. Mitchell
  12. Alexander



Who's Going Home?
I think America will put Ryan and Ricky, Tadd and Jordan, and Sasha and Alexander in the bottom. I think they'll send home Jordan and Alexander.

If it was me picking I'd send home Sasha and Alexander.

1 comment:

  1. That invisible children "hoook" was completely irrelevant. The music had nothing to do with it and it seemed like he was trying to cover up a bad creative idea with some emotional world story. Booo

    ReplyDelete