So, I had my first official week "On-Duty" last week. As I mentioned, I'm helping out the Residence Life Office for some extra cash this semester in addition to my usual every-other weekend work with the Union Board and taking on one week a month of being on call. So, essentially, we're the second level of contact after the RA's on duty. So, if anyone goes to the hospital or gets in a fight, I get called.
Last Monday I took over the duty phone and I didn't get a single call for the first 4 nights. I kept thinking, this is so easy...free money in my pocket. WRONG! I think I slept a total of 9 hours between Thursday morning and Monday morning. These youngsters are nuts. Let's see, there was a drug/alcohol mix overdose issue, 3 drunk students sent to the hospital, a domestic assault issue, a sick student who went to the hospital, and the lovely incident where an athletic golf cart rolled into a parked car at 4 in the morning because an injured athlete didn't put the brake on. Craziness. I was soooo ready to give that phone back on Monday (and so was Jeff). He wanted me to quit immediately on Monday. I've been promised that this was the worst weekend in 6 years (according to the nurse on call who was feeling my pain). So, I'll stick it out. It can't be this bad again. My karma has to be good for the next one.
So, what else has been going on? Sunday morning, I had yummy brunch with Mom and shopped for her dress for the wedding and some fun bridesmaids gifts. Monday, I met with the last florist in Spartanburg and made a final flower decision. I had a Junior League meeting and Union Board meeting that night that I can't actually remember attending because I was on another planet by that point (but I know I went). Tuesday night after work I worked at the Junior League Wearhouse again for a few hours, which is surprisingly fun. I work there again on Saturday and then I'll be officially done with my 30 hours of provisional wearhouse work! Woohoo. So, needless to say that the sleep I got on Tuesday night and last night (when I went to bed at 8:30) were amazing! I'm like a new person!
No comments:
Post a Comment