Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Whew, Where Did the Time Go?

Meeting my new niece, the first few weeks of school, football season arriving, and starting new dance classes... I haven't blogged in forever! So, I'll play a little catch up. Obviously, not the full day-by-day I usually do. Just some highlights.

The last time I left you (almost 3 weeks ago), I was off to Philly. I did actually will myself to feel better while I was there. I didn't hold Harper the first day because I was scared I'd cough on her. But, by the second day I was really feeling okay and wasn't coughing. So, I felt safe that I wouldn't infect her. Harper is just beautiful and was strong as heck for a then 3-week old. She was holding her head up, grabbing on to you, and could kick those long legs of hers really like a pro soccer player. I can't wait until she's old enough to actually play with, but she's still just so cute to be around anyways right now. It was good having some family time after such a long few weeks. 

I don't know how, but it was just even crazier at work when we got back. I don't know if it was taking 3 days off, whether stuff had just been put on the back-burner because of orientation and welcome week, or what. But, it just turned into some really long hours at school and lots of events back-to-back. So, at work over the last few weeks, I've survived Davidson's Homecoming, starting work on one of the school's strategic planning implementation teams for assessment (sounds thrilling to you I'm sure...but, sadly I like this stuff), had fun meetings about the new 4-screen movie theater coming to town (yay) and how we can work with them for fun events for our students, and handled a national geographic travel writer lecture (big hit by the way), and starting all of my 1:1 meetings with students on top of all of my normal 5 events a week stuff we always do. Bah! Craziness. 

When we got back, I also started some new dance classes. I loved ballet over the summer, but I was worried that when the fall started up, I just wouldn't have time to drive back and forth to Charlotte to take class and that I'd have to stop going. But, no worries! At the beginning of the year, I found out that the dance classes they have at Davidson are actually taught by North Carolina Dance Theater (studio I was going to in Charlotte over the summer) instructors. And, the students were totally fine with me taking classes with them. And the big bonus, it's only $30 a semester for each class (which in dance terms is ridiculously cheap)! So, I've been taking class three days a week. There's also a better selection here. I'm taking advanced ballet, jazz, and modern. So, I'm saving tons of money, taking an extra class each week, and more variety. Gotta love it. 

The only downfall is that the jazz teacher is a little old school. The first class I was a little concerned that the theme song to Flashdance was about to start blaring and jazz hands and jump splits were coming out at any moment. The girl loves some chasse, pas de bourees. It's still fun though even though I have some moments when I'm like you want me to do what?! This in not 1987. Sadly, it's still kicking my butt.

The return of football has made me extra happy lately. It may be one of the reasons fall is my favorite season (that and candy corn pumpkins, pretty colored leaves, and the ability to wear jeans and flip flops at the same time without cold toes or sticky legs...oh, and scarves...scarves make me happy). Here's a pic of the pup in his gamecock jersey as we watched the Carolina/NC State game. He's such a cutie patootie (if I do say so myself). I actually took a break last Saturday and headed home for the USC/Florida Atlantic game. We have no special teams, but it was still good to be there in person to watch. It's just not the same watching it from home, although I do like the ability to rewind the DVR to re-watch plays over and over. I think I'll be able to make it to a couple more games this year, which is one of the perks of living closer to home again. Let me know if you're going to be at the Kentucky or Clemson game!

What else has been going on? Sadly, the cough has returned after it took a week-long hiatus after Philly. I don't know why it came back, but it's worse than ever. So, I'm working on that. Other than everything above (oh, and the fact that I've decided to grow my hair back out long again), life's pretty much the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment